Thursday, July 1, 2010

Today was the first day of TheNest Book Club Summer Challenge. And I finished my first book today! :) I finished Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky. I really enjoyed this book. I started it last night and I could not put it down.

The plot: Susan is the principal of a high school in a small town. Her teenage daughter and two of her friends pledge to get pregnant together. Because Susan has a high-profile position in the town (and directly works with other teenagers), she is put on the chopping block as a mother, and a principal. Two of Susan's closest friends are also dealing with the fall-out of their daughters being involved in the pact.

Susan had a solid support system, for the most part. Her friends, even when they were wrapped up in their own problems, came through when she needed them most. She appeared to understand when her friends were edgy and aloof and distanced themselves from her. I, however, got angry for her. I think that is what kept me reading this book. I wanted to see how their friendships deteriorated and then built back up again. It wasn't the pact the girls made, or even the issues they faced by being pregnant. It was the mothers' friendship I was most drawn to this time.

Overall, I give this 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment